Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday Thankfulness

Thursday Thankfulness: "

imageA few years ago, our friend Sherri did a post on how she had learned that putting your router into a metal strainer boosted your wireless signal. She tried it and found it worked, so we tried it too. Lo and behold, it did work. Our router stayed in the strainer until I needed to strain the spaghetti or strawberries or something, and once it was washed, it went back to the router.


Then, as many of you know, we lost our connection.


Eventually we unplugged the router and put the strainer away, and did what we could to cope with a piggyback connection. The connection is so bad that there are times where we can’t get a connection for hours, sometimes even a few days, at which point we’d run to the library to get online. Or the connection will flicker, sometimes dropping once every couple of minutes because the signal is so weak. Try uploading a blog post with that!


A couple of weeks ago, Darc asked me if I thought the strainer thing would work on the laptop. I shrugged. “It can’t be any worse than it is now.”


So we propped the strainer on it’s side around the laptop’s wireless card, and wowee, it was insta-boost! I don’t mean to say we have a zippy connection now or anything, but it has been more stable, and when it does go down, it doesn’t seem to stay down as long as it did before. Still can’t watch videos or anything, but I can blog and comment and read. Email is still often slow for me, but hey, I am trying not to complain. Sure, nothing beats a high-speed connection on a brand new high speed computer, but in the meantime, this is what I have now, and it’s a little better than what I was trying to deal with before, so I’m thankful.


What’s your thankfulness this week? Do you have one?


And thanks to my beloved husband for giving me the idea for this post. :D


All rights reserved by DarcsFalcon







Filed under: Thankfulness Tagged: Computers, Connection, Laptop, Strainer, Thankfulness, Wireless "

No comments:

Post a Comment