Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Mischief

Monday Mischief: "

imageHa! Fooled ya! You thought I was going to say mayhem, didn’t you?! Figured I’d shake things up a bit, try not to be so predictable. ;)


I think my husband stole a bit of my thunder and told you a bit about some of our movie watching experiences this weekend. I liked watching the commentary for Doubt, but not the one for Star Trek. While I liked the Star Trek movie – and I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt despite being sort of a Trekker – the commentary left me rolling my eyes. I swear, they sounded like a bunch of college-aged buffoons. Couldn’t they have even tried to sound like professionals? *sigh*


One thing I did this weekend, was watch The Passion of The Christ. I’ve never seen it and it’s one of those, “one of these days” kind of movies. I was in the “P” section … see, I pick a letter because trying to sort through the whole movie section at the library is a major pain, so I picked a letter and focused on that. I happened on “P,” so I got Passion, Premonition, and Painted House. (Someone want to suggest a letter for next time I go to the library? And please hold yourself back from shouting out “X!” or “Z!” because finding a movie that starts with one of those would be almost impossible. WIGSF, I’m lookin’ at you!) ANYway, I watched Passion, and … well … a few things I was a bit disappointed with. I understand Gibson took some creative license with the movie, but you can’t brag about “being true to the Scriptures” and then take some creative license. There’s no reference to Lucifer being in the Garden with Christ before the Crucifixion. So, he lost me there. Other aspects were compelling, although his Catholicism really came through, I thought.


At one point, my daughter, who’d curled up to watch it with me, asked me why they were being so mean to Jesus. Well. How to answer in such a way that a child can understand, without going into a theological discussion on the nature of sin and the necessity of Christ’s death, and you get the idea. I took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts and she answered her own question and said, “I think they were evil, that’s why they were so mean to Him.” You know baby girl, that sums it up pretty well. :) Out of the mouths of babes.


Painted House was pretty good. It’s the one based on a Grisham novel, but it’s not lawyerly at all. It’s set in rural Arkansas during the depression. It was more literary than genre, but it was pretty good for not having a plot. Lots of interesting vignettes, likeable characters, some less than. Entertainment.


And I already told you about Premonition last week.


Other than that, I just did some housework over the weekend and how exciting is that? You don’t really want to hear how I’m trying to re-organize my cabinets, do you? Yeah, that’s what I thought. ;)


So, what did you do over the weekend? Anything fun and exciting so I can live vicariously through you?





Filed under: Family Life, LOLz Tagged: Daughter, Family, Family Life, LOLz, Movies, Weekend "

No comments:

Post a Comment