Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday Marvels

Monday Marvels: "

image



clipart_flagd_21In so many ways, this is my new year’s day. And I’ve always thought it rather fitting that it falls on Flag Day. :) The first full day of my life was Flag Day so it has always been pretty special to me. It’s worked out well, you know, with that whole patriotic thing I have. ;)


This is also the day I cut my nails if they’re too long – weird, I know. It feels like starting fresh somehow. It’s like a housekeeping day. Straighten the cupboards and closets, that sort of thing. Think about where I’d like to be a year from now, mentally and emotionally. I don’t think of them as resolutions, or even goals. Aspirations perhaps. It’s my day for both reflection of what’s passed behind me and looking forward to what might be in front.


My birthday was awesome. :D I made a cake, that’s not really a cake it’s more like a pie, but it’s in a cake pan. I thought I’d lost the recipe when I lost all my cookbooks and recipes a few years ago, and it was one of those recipes that hurt to lose. But a few weeks ago I was on the phone with a very good friend of mine and she asked me if I was going to make my cake for my birthday. I told her I hadn’t made it in years because I no longer had the recipe. Duh. She keeps forgetting things like that for some reason. So she said, “Why didn’t you tell me? I have it right here! You gave me a copy about 15 or 20 years ago, remember?” No, clearly I forgot, lol. She still had the copy I’d made her, in my own writing, as well as several others I’d shared with her back then. So I got to make my all time favorite cake for my birthday. I’ll put the recipe up on Nessipes if anyone’s interested. It doesn’t have a name so if you think of one, let me know. Maybe I’ll have a contest or something, I don’t know. It’s incredibly rich and creamy and oh so yummy. You’ll gain weight just by looking at it. :)


We watched one of my favorite movies, Iron Man. I think I could watch that over and over, and I can’t wait until Iron Man 2 comes out. Please don’t suck, please don’t suck! Sequels usually do, so I’m nervous.


My family was awesome. They usually are, but the kids made adorable cards for me, and put on little shows of their own making – remakes of their favorite movies – currently THEM! and Kung Fu Panda. See Master Oogway singlehandedly destroy the evil giant ants! :)


And, not least of all, I had a wonderful and amazing re-affirmation from God. I think of it as a personal birthday gift from Him to me. I wish I could share that feeling with you. :)


So it was a great day and a great weekend and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your kind and thoughtful birthday wishes. You were the sprinkles on my cake. :D


Oh, and Happy Flag Day!







Filed under: Family Life, Joy Tagged: Birthday, Family "

No comments:

Post a Comment