Friday, April 23, 2010

Them

Them: "

This post I saw over on Blame it on the Voices made me kind of sad, but it was so touching. Check it out and tell me what you think. Time passing


~~~~~~~~~~


Well, we went to the library the other day. I needed some books, we had to return some videos. “But no new videos,” said Darc, “Because we have to go through the proofs on the SSRLP and won’t have time to watch movies..” So I headed off to find some books, and found him and the kids later in the video section. :roll:


My son pulled “Them!” off the science fiction section. He saw the ants on the back and asked me about it.


“Oooh, Them!” I replied. “I watched that on TV when I was around your age and it scared me.” He started to put it back when ”OH! Can we get it, can we, please?” begged my 4 year old.


I figured she’d watched Alien without a hitch, what problem could a cult classic from the 5o’s pose?


She was so excited, it was her turn for movie night so she turned out all the lights and pushed the button to make the DVD go in. She watched pretty much the whole thing, which is amazing when you consider she’s 4.


The next day she came to me and said, “Can I ask you something, mommy?” She was all seriousness and I was a bit concerned.
”What is it, baby?”
”Can we keep ‘Them!’ and not give it back to the library?”


Just pause for a moment and let that sink in. My 4 year old daughter asked me to keep a copy of Them! Science-fiction horror cult classic from the 1950’s. My 4 year old daughter. Not a Barbie movie, or a Disney movie, or even a Shirley Temple movie. Oh no. She asked for Them!


*sigh*


You do see my dreams of sharing mother/daughter trips to the salon going up in smoke, right?


Naturally I had to explain that the library movies belong to the library and no, we can’t keep them. But I did promise her that we’d look for it next time we were at Walmart. Maybe they’ll have it in the $5 bin or something.


Them! *shaking head*


So, what are you doing for the weekend, while I’m scouring the old movies bin at Walmart? ;)






Filed under: Family Life, Thinking out loud Tagged: Daughter, Family, Movies "

No comments:

Post a Comment