Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday Thankfulness

Thursday Thankfulness: "

When I was a teenager, I tried to make a list of my blessings. I literally tried to count them. I don’t recall all the things I had on my list, but I do know there’s a huge difference in what we’re thankful for when we’ve been on the planet 6,600 days, and when we’ve been here 16,800 days. And had the chance to go through a lot more crap. ;)


Today I am thankful for today. Now, let me explain. Easter-time has always been very special for me – not solely (souly? ;) ) for the religious aspect and my faith, but also because of the Springtime sense of renewal, and a couple of other things that I don’t need to mention. :D My point is, when I look at when I used to try to count my blessings and how difficult that seems sometimes, and I think of this time of year and how excited it makes me, it makes me thankful for the chance to be thankful and to express that. I’ve been enjoying this exercise of gratitude – just finding little things to be thankful for, things you typically don’t really think about like toilet paper. Yeah, you don’t think about it until you run out! LOL


It’s so easy to go through life always grumbling and complaining, and don’t misunderstand, I do more than my fair share of that! But committing myself to doing this at least once a week is good for me, and I’m thankful for it. It forces me to look beyond the status quo, to find what I have and its usefulness in my life, instead of always worrying about and coveting what I don’t have. It forces me into a different mindset. It’s so easy to focus on my own grievances with life, the bitter pills I’ve had to swallow, the losses and sorrows. Pain is easy to scream about.


But gratitude? It gets short shrift. And boy, do we get mad when we feel someone hasn’t been sufficiently grateful for something we’ve done for them, or something we’ve gotten for them! LOL I’ve gotten annoyed because people didn’t say “thank you” when I held a door open in a store for them, or they didn’t do the little “thank you wave” when I let them take cut-sies in front of me in traffic. Believe me, it sure seems there’s a lot more to be pissed off about in life than there is to be joyful about.


So searching for that little bit of thankfulness is good for me, good for me to avoid focusing on the negative.


And it’s way more fun than eating my veggies!






Filed under: Thankfulness Tagged: Thankfulness "

No comments:

Post a Comment