Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Wednesday Woe

Wednesday Woe: "

imageWell, we used to have 3 computers in the house. I thought that was pretty tame, considering I was married to an IT guy. Darc and I each had our own desktop models – a holdover from our single days. We did meet online you know, so we were used to having our own personal models. Then Darc also picked up a cheap laptop because, well, because he always wanted a laptop and he wanted something he could write on wherever he wanted when the mood struck him. But the laptop ended up being on the poopy end, as computers go, and we gave it to the kids so they could play computer games. Jump Start, Blues Clues, that sort of stuff. It worked out well.


Then, back in May of 09, my computer died. Darc was generous – I thought – to share his with me, let me set up my own profile and such. We learned to share. Not an easy feat for a couple that was used to not sharing a computer for the entire length of their relationship! LOL We managed. :)


Then in Jan ‘10, we had to forgo our Internet connection, and the only computer in the house that was able to find a stray, unsecured Wi-Fi connection was the little old laptop in the kids’ room. I call it the Flintstones computer. :) It’s managed to take our abuses well, putting up with all of us, not just the kids. But, it wheezes (metaphorically speaking) when it’s on, the fan has problems and we have to keep it propped up. We have a nice little peanut butter jar rigging system here, LOL. Hey, you work with what you got, right? :D It works, that’s all I care about.


Now, it appears that the only remaining desktop in the house, Darc’s computer, is dying. The one he writes on, the one with all his stories, all his work. It keeps seizing up and we can’t figure out what’s wrong. He’s been cannibalizing the remaining working parts from my desktop (it’s the motherboard that’s bad on mine, nothing else it seems) to see if he can locate the trouble. He thought it might be his power supply, but the same issue came up again.


So, now we’re at a loss. One dead, one dying, and one just barely breathing. Such are the computers in our home. If you happen to know the winning lottery numbers, we could sure use them! ;)


***


Has anyone else noticed that now comments come with that little “cleared by Akismet” tag? Have you also noticed that now you have more spam than ever to clear out manually? Or is it just me? Akismet used to catch everything, it seemed, and take care of all of it. Now I’m constantly getting spam that I have to empty myself because Akismet didn’t do it, even though it “flagged this comment as spam.” Well if you flagged it, why didn’t you just delete it?! I, for one, don’t like this new way of doing things.


***


I have made an observation. Swiffer hates me. You know those mops, the ones you just stick the little pad on and press the button and it sprays the floor cleaner for you? That one. I picked one up a few years ago, love new gadgets after all. But I’ve noticed that each time I use it, the floor seems more slippery after it’s dried. I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to figure it out. But I almost slipped, again!, and I recalled that I’d just mopped like the day before I went crashing on my knee back in September. The cleaning solution that comes with it is supposed to clean, and it does, but I’m noticing a very thin layer of something – I don’t know what to call it. It leaves a sheen of some sort. Anyway, I’m ditching it and going back to my Mr Clean and bucket and mop. I’m sorry Mr Clean! I was wrong to leave you for the Swiffer charm!


***


I’m off to write a post about cast iron care for my recipes blog, and I’ll cross post it on the At Grandma’s Table blog too. Which reminds me, if you have any recipes you’d like to share, let me know and I’ll make you a contributor! The more the merrier!


***


Oh, for those of you who were asking, here’s a picture of our little tree. :)


2010-12-08c


So, that’s how my middle-of-the-week is going. You? Try not to rub it in if you can help it! ;)



All rights reserved by DarcsFalcon















Get your copy of my husband’s books!



Buy J Dane Tyler’s Fiction now!






Filed under: Family Life Tagged: Computers, Family Life, Homemaking "

No comments:

Post a Comment