Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thursday Thankfulness

Thursday Thankfulness: "

Cold and I don’t mix. We never have gotten along, ever since I moved here. I grew up with green Christmases, where seeing the temperature drop below 40° was a cause to freak out. I remember one time it snowed, and you had to scrape together all the snow in like a 4 ft square area to make a single snowball. And since it was so precious and rare, you stuck it in your freezer instead of throwing it at someone.


I didn’t even see my first real life snow until I was around 12, and went on a vacation to another state.


So you can imagine that sub-zero temperatures remain a thing of fear and horror, something to be avoided at all costs.


But, lucky me, I live in the Northern Great Lakes area now and cold is a relative term. 20° can seem like a heat wave after a brutal cold snap, and it isn’t uncommon to see people walking around in shorts when that occurs. Shorts and sweatshirts. With socks and sandals. :roll: I know, it’s like they couldn’t make up their mind which season to dress for, so they dressed for all of them. I swear I couldn’t make this stuff up.


Anyway, it gets cold here, and I hate cold, and I hate sleeping with clothing that gets all twisted up in the sheets, so that means I either have to sleep and freeze, or sleep in extreme discomfort.


Then a few years ago, Darc stumbled across these long underwear items made of silk knit. The price was actually reasonable so we each got a pair. The neat thing about them is being silk, they’re extremely lightweight – it’s almost like wearing nothing. But because they’re silk, they’re very warm. And also, since they’re silk, I can wear them to bed and they don’t get twisted up very much in the sheets while I sleep. It’s as much of a win-win as I can have without moving to a warmer climate.


Can you imagine how nice it is to get all snug and toasty warm to go to sleep when it’s below freezing outside? Ahhh, so thankful for my silky long-janes. :) If I could, I’d buy a couple more pairs.


If you’re interested, I got them at Land’s End. :)



Filed under: Thankfulness Tagged: Cold, Land's End, Silk, Thankfulness
"

No comments:

Post a Comment