Thursday, August 5, 2010

Thursday Thankfulness

Thursday Thankfulness: "

imageThe lowly pencil sharpener. Easily forgettable, until you need one. And as homeschool parents, we need them. :) I like to buy fun pencils for the kids, and now that the MiniNess will be starting soon, she’ll finally get a chance to use the pretty princess pencils I got her a couple of years ago. So, I’ll be sharpening a lot in the near future.


And not just the kids pencils, but my own too. I don’t know what it is about the sensation of a lead pencil gliding across paper, but it’s kind of thrilling. My son loves to keep his pencils to a sharp, pointy tip. I do too. We each have a sharpener and I suspect I’ll have to grab another one next time we head to Walmart. There’s a little girl too excited about the prospect of finally learning to read, and she’s going to want to practice writing her letters, and naturally will need her own pencil sharpener to stay ahead of the point. :)


Electric ones are cool, when they don’t grind your pencil to a nub. And the old crank-handle schoolhouse ones bring back tons of memories of standing in line while the kid in front of me accidentally breaks the tip of his pencil near the end of his sharpening spree. But I’m actually good with the old manual hand-held one, with a shavings catch of course. Totally portable, and quiet. And now-a-days, you can find them in tons of colors and styles.


Sometimes, sticking with the basics is good. A good pencil, a decent sharpener, some paper – worlds have been created with such. :)


Anything you’re thankful for this week?


All rights reserved by DarcsFalcon








Filed under: Thankfulness Tagged: Pencils, Thankfulness "

No comments:

Post a Comment