Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Fragments

Friday Fragments: "

It’s the last weekend of the month. You know, I’m just sayin’. In case you weren’t aware. I don’t know about you but these things sort of sneak up on me.


Which means it’s getting close to the changing of the color guard here on the old blog. Valentine’s Day is in February, and that’s typically red and pink, but I just did red for Christmas and I’m not feeling particularly pink, surprisingly. These are the things Falcon ponders in her off hours. ;)


~~~~~~~~~~


I came across this article when I was trying to catch up on the news the other day. It kind of made me sad. Book stores? Gah! Not good when you’re married to an author, or know many people who are also working on their books. Jewelry stores? Coffee shops? Toy stores? The Blockbuster thing I kind of predicted a few years ago. Really, who didn’t? Netflix came on the scene and it was pretty much the writing on the wall for Blockbuster. Plus, I don’t know about you, but the times I went there (and yeah it’s been a few years) the staff was pretty rude. They gave the impression they expected me to apologize for interrupting their social hour. Now, for a business that’s facing intense competition, having rude staff is like the #1 business killer.


But this is the free market system at work and if these businesses had been meeting the needs of the buying public, they wouldn’t be closing stores like this. That’s why no one rides Amtrak anymore.


Who’s Closing Stores in 2010


By Tom Van Riper, Forbes.com




Ritz Camera
2009 Store closures: 365


Waldenbooks/Borders
2009 Store closures: 110 (Q4 2008 to Q3 2009)


Blockbuster
2009 store closures: 300


Zale Corp.
Fiscal 2009 Store closures: 218


Jones Apparel Group
2009 Store closures: 69


Starbucks
2009 Store closures: 566 (fiscal 2009, 12 months ended Sept. 27)


KB Toys
2009 Store closures: 461


See the full list of Who’s Closing Stores In 2010?



~~~~~~~~~~


Since I can’t get to my email, I can’t get to my jokes. I guess we’ll just have to imagine “teh funneh” today.


“Two frogs walk into a bar …” My favorite Budweiser commercial. It’s probably somewhere on YouTube. :D Have a great weekend everyone!




Filed under: Thinking out loud Tagged: Miscellany, Thinking
"

No comments:

Post a Comment